Friday, February 27, 2009

Fianna Fail Canvasser uncovered

Canvassing is not an easy job these days but Martin Mc Gettigan is a man with a mission. A former mayor of Raheny in Co. Dublin and a Peace Commissioner, Martin recently received the nomination from Fianna Fail to go forward as their candidate in the Donaghmede/Raheny/Ward area. Politics is in Martin's blood and his goal is to gain a Fianna Fail seat in this constituency.
Just under two years ago, Martin began canvasing six nights a week. At that stage, Ireland was still in the midst of the Celtic Tiger. As the months went by, it gradually became clear that the economy was changing as well as peoples opinions towards Fianna Fail and our leadership.
It was difficult for us, the canvassing team to go out some nights especially during the recent medical card scandal and strikes.
As a Fianna Fail supporter I was anxious to the reactions that I would receive on the doorstep and how I could justify my support for a party that was losing votes by the day.
Today's Irish Independent/Millward Brown IMS poll shows that support for Fianna Fail has plummeted.Only 1/5 voters feel that Cowen is doing a good job and only 1/10 is satisfied with the government.
My background is staunch Fianna Fail.The family home at Christmas is filled with politics and mistletoe, always something to love or argue about. For me growing up, Fianna Fail was all about Charlie Mc Creevys SSIA scheme which made us all feel like we could do anything, I bought shares and my brother travelled. We both had the means to be in a position to learn, which we now don't regret.The magic spell was short but intoxicating and very quickly without warning it changed so quickly. Life is now different, I can't remember the last time I went clubbing but now I can cook! Both of us hope we will be in our jobs next year.
I find today's poll confusing as the reactions which I have received at the door is not as bitter as suggested. True there is hostility and abuse and favour for Fianna Fail is lower but most people that I have spoken to are honest and understand that we among other countries have a rough ride ahead and an alternative party in power faced with these same problems that are facing Fianna Fail would also be receiving the same criticism.I did get the chance to talk with several people who were on the Civil and Public Service Union strike and they were there to support the situation but were not dissing Fianna Fail.
The Martin Mc Gettigan canvassing routine has at all times kept the show on the road.To be seen and to get talking to as many people as possible.Martin has been planning his campaign for the last two years and his dedication, commitment and personality will surely win him and Fianna Fail a seat. Please give Martin Mc Gettigan your No.1 vote! Martin can't change what is happening in the government or what leadership Cowen is taking. But if he wins a seat, he will be in a better position to help the Donaghmede/Raheny/Ward constituency. The local issues under Dublin County council. All politics is local and this is a local election.
I do wait in anticipation to see what positiveness will come out of this weekends Fianna Fail's Ard Feis and believe that this current government is doing it's best in a very difficult situation and are being very cautious. I am learning about life all the time, and will look back on this post in a few years time and think did I really write that?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marie, How are you? I have never used a blog before so I am not sure I am using it correctly. I really enjoyed your Lattes today. Well done on the FF Mc Gettigan write up I am sure your view will help get support.

    Write Back

    Martin

    ReplyDelete