Monday, February 23, 2009

The bogey €2 coins

Forget the forge €50 note or the dodgy €20 note, the new kid on the block and the biggest culprit of them all is the common €2 coin. Out since 2002 the coin itself is not exactly the problem rather it is the coins that are similar in look and size that are leaving customers short in the pocket. The recent invasion of coins from Mexico, Iran and Turkey are so similar to the €2 coin that retailers are urging all cashiers to double check for the distinctive map of Europe.
This week coming home by the Tunnel late at night, I received two hungarian coins in my change which left me €4 short, visibly angered, I buried my annoyance and got on with it, vowing the next time to check my change, which I always forget. It never strikes one to check coins whereas spotting a dud note is easier by texture and sight.
In my restaurant, I am becoming more eagle eyed to this epidemic,which is a form of "counterfeiting", a crime every country takes very seriously since it damages the economy. When I first noticed these coins in circulation- I started wondering what type of person was the culprit? Maybe the friendly Moroccan trying to distract me by engaging in conversation over a latte? The granny who takes ages to find the coins and I'm already accepting the change from the next customer or the builders in the morning?
On finding the bogus €2 which can come from anyone out there, I politely ask the customer for the right change, some look sheepish but others take it back to fawn it off elsewhere unashamedly. The €2 fakies are still making their way into the till though so now I offer them as a present to fellow shoppers to try and see where they can spend it, they look shocked and laugh meekly while accepting curiously. Am I making these people aware of the crime or am i encouraging it? One thing for sure- the €2 coins are out of my sight and out of mind but bound to come back in some other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment